Natural Anxiety Remedies
Anxiety is a natural physiologic response to stress. Everyone experiences levels of anxiety but it is considered to be a problem or a disorder when these feelings do not go away. There are different types of anxiety ranging from general anxiety with difficulty thinking and irritability, to panic disorder with attacks of fear, as well as social anxiety. Constant anxiety can lead to other physical symptoms including difficulty sleeping, abdominal pain and digestive issues to hormone imbalances including thyroid dysfunction. If you have concerns about your anxiety it is best to be evaluated by a mental health professional. You can treat and lessen anxiety through some dietary changes and nutritional supplements at home too!
Things to avoid:
- Caffeine is a stimulant and can increase or worsen anxiety.
- Food sensitivities
Things to try:
- B complex – B vitamins are essential for neurotransmitter production and transmission. They can also provide energy for the “wired and tired” anxious person.
- Chamomile tea – Matricaria chamomilla is an herb that reduces nervous tension. The action of the herb is slow and gentle with effects that are long lasting. It is also a good choice for people with anxiety and abdominal pain as it is refreshing to smooth muscle.
- Magnesium is a key nutrient in neurotransmitter formation as well as being calming and relaxing. Taken at night it can help promote restful sleep.
- Inositol – Has a role related to activation of serotonin receptors. This nutrient is commonly used to help with anxiety and depression.
Herbs are a great way to support the adrenal glands and decrease the negative effects of stress. Some herbs and supplements interact with medications so the doctors in our clinic customize and formulate to each individual patient.